Eggs Benedict with Bacon
Runny poached eggs with salty crisp bacon on top of our legendary Johnston Mooney and O’Brien Toastie, all coated in a tangy rich Hollandaise sauce –makes a perfect breakfast or brunch treat!
- Johnston Mooney & O’Brien Toastie
- 2 rashers or streaky bacon
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsps of lemon juice
- 3 eggs yolks
- 125g real butter
- Salt and pepper
- For the hollandaise sauce, place 75g of butter into a small sauce pan and melt slowly over a gentle heat. Once melted, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place the egg yolks into a bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water and beat until pale and thickened. Add the water, lemon juice, salt and freshly ground black pepper to the egg yolks and beat for another 30 seconds.
- Add half of the remaining butter to the egg mixture in the bowl and stir for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and beat in the rest of the butter.
- Slowly pour in the melted butter, whisking constantly, until the sauce reaches the consistency of double cream. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Keep the sauce warm by resting the bowl in a pan of lukewarm water.
- Meanwhile grill the rashers. While they are cooking poach the eggs.
- Toast the bread and place on warn plates. Divide the rashers between both plates. Place the eggs on the rashers and pour over the hollandaise sauce.